DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-1770.ijrcog20195306

A comparative study of thyroid stimulating hormone among lean and obese women with polycystic ovarian syndrome

Sangeetha M. C., Suman Shivanagouda Patil, Nalini Arunkumar

Abstract


Background: The polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is an abnormality of young women of reproductive age. Between 20-50% of women with PCOS are normal weight or thin, and the pathophysiology of the disorder in these women may be related to a hypothalamic-pituitary defect that results in increased release of LH. PCOS and Thyroid disorders share certain common characteristics, risk factors, and pathophysiological abnormalities. In this study we have compared the serum TSH levels in obese and non-obese PCOS women to detect if there is a significant difference in the occurrence of hypothyroidism based on the BMI.

Methods: Non-pregnant women attending the gynecological OPD diagnosed with PCOS as per Rotterdam criteria were included. Serum TSH was done in all women diagnosed as PCOS and based on their BMI women were either included in obese or non-obese group using Asian cut-off for BMI and the values compared.

Results: In the present study 152 women were included. Women with low BMI and normal BMI were grouped as lean PCOS or non-obese PCOS and the overweight and obese women together were grouped as obese PCOS. The total number in the lean group was 28 and 124 in the obese group. Raised serum TSH levels were observed in 23.02%(35) women out of which 17.14%(6) belonged to the non-obese group and the remaining 82.85%(29) to the obese group. Among the 152 women thyroid enlargement was seen in 1.3%(2). Both women had raised serum TSH levels and both belonged to the obese group.

Conclusions: The results of our study seem to indicate that thyroid dysfunction in PCOS women developed irrespective of presence or absence of obesity.


Keywords


Body mass index, Hypothyroidism, Non-obese, Obese, Polycystic ovarian syndrome, Serum TSH

Full Text:

PDF

References


Nidhi R, Padmalatha V, Nagarathna R, Amritanshu R. Prevalence of polycystic ovarian syndrome in Indian adolescents. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2011;24:223-7.

Nair MK, Pappachan P, Balakrishnan S, Leena ML, George B, Russell PS. Menstrual irregularity and poly cystic ovarian syndrome among adolescent girls: A two year follow-up study. Indian J Pediatr. 2012;79 Suppl 1:S69-73.

Joshi B, Mukherjee S, Patil A, Purandare A, Chauhan S, Vaidya R. A cross-sectional study of polycystic ovarian syndrome among adolescent and young girls in Mumbai, India. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2014;18(3):317-24.

Nestler JE, Jakubowicz DJ. Lean women with polycystic ovary syndrome respond to insulin reduction with decreases in ovarian P450c17α activity and serum androgens. The J Clin Endocrinol Metabol. 1997;82(12):4075-9.

Krassas GE. Thyroid disease and female reproduction. Fertil Steril. 2000;74:1063-70.

Verma I, Sood R, Juneja S, Kaur S. Prevalence of hypothyroidism in infertile women and evaluation of response of treatment for hypothyroidism on infertility. Int J Appl Basic Med Res. 2012;2(1):17-9.

Singla R, Gupta Y, Khemani M, Aggarwal S. Thyroid disorders and polycystic ovary syndrome: An emerging relationship. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2015;19(1):25-9.

Ramanand SJ, Ghongane BB, Ramanand JB, Patwardhan MH, Ghanghas RR, Jain SS. Clinical characteristics of polycystic ovary syndrome in Indian women. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2013;17(1):138-45.

Kalra A, Nair S, Rai L. Association of obesity and insulin resistance with dyslipidemia in Indian women with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Indian J Med Sci. 2006;60:447-53.

Enzevaei A, Salehpour S, Tohidi M, Saharkhiz N. Subclinical hypothyroidism and insulin resistance in polycystic ovary syndrome: is there a relationship? Iran J Reprod Med. 2014;12:481-6.