DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-1770.ijrcog20185422

Does type of intervention affects the endoscopic procedure outcome in female infertile patients? an experience at a single tertiary care centre

Namita Agrawal, S. Fayyaz

Abstract


Background: To compare the types of hysterolaparoscopic interventions in female infertile patients and evaluate the outcome in terms of achieving pregnancy at follow up of 12 months.

Methods: We prospectively evaluated 157 female-infertile-patients (age range 19-35 years; mean age 27.75 years). During their workup, all underwent hysterolaparoscopy. The detected anatomical abnormalities on hysterolaparoscopy were also tackled at same time if possible. After hysterolaparoscopy, Patients were advised for regular sexual activity. Follow-up of all recruited patients was done for 12 months or till achievement of fetal cardiac activity.

Results: Of the 157 female-infertile-patients, 93 (59.2%) were of primary infertility and remaining 64 (41.74%) were secondary infertility patients. Hysterolaparoscopy revealed abnormalities in 125/157 patients. Of the 125 patients with abnormal hysterolaparoscopic findings, 121 underwent active therapeutic interventions. Out of 121 underwent active intervention and 43 patients conceived during next 12 months. Of 121 patients, 81 (66.9%) experienced single type intervention and remaining 40 (33.1%) experienced multiple type of the intervention. Among 81 patients with single type intervention, 28 conceived while 33 patients with multiple type of intervention 15 conceived. There was no statistically significant difference in pregnancy outcome in both groups. When we analyzed independently in primary and secondary infertility patients, similarly there was no significant difference in the pregnancy outcome.

Conclusions: We concluded the conception rate was not significantly difference in infertile female patients, who underwent either single or multiple type hysterolaparoscopic intervention. So hysterolaparoscopy interventions should be performed in infertile female patients irrespective of type and extent of pelvic pathologies.


Keywords


Hysterolaparoscopy, Multiple type intervention, Pregnancy outcome, Single type intervention

Full Text:

PDF

References


Greil, A. L., Slauson-Blevins, K., and McQuillan, J. The experience of infertility: A review of recent literature. Sociology of Health and Illness 2010. 32(1):140-62.

Practice Committee of American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Diagnostic evaluation of the infertile female: a committee opinion. Fertil Steril 2012;98(2):302-7.

Agrawal N, Fayyaz S. Evaluation of endoscopic procedures in terms of achieving pregnancy in female infertile patients: An experience at a single tertiary care center. J Gynecol Obstet Hum Reprod. 2018;47(9):425-9.

Agrawal N, Yadav P, Fayyaz S, Kaur B. Is hysterolaparoscopy a real theranostic approach for anatomical barriers in female fertility? A future argument. Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol. 2018;7(6):2423-8.

Amer SAK, Gopalan V, Li TC, Ledger WL, Cooke ID. Long term follow-up of patients with polycystic ovarian syndrome after laparoscopic ovarian drilling: clinical outcome. Hum Reprod. 2002;17(8):2035- 42.

Kong GW, Cheung LP, Lok IH. Effects of laparoscopic ovarian drilling in treating infertile anovulatory polycystic ovarian syndrome patients with and without metabolic syndrome. Hong Kong Med J. 2011;17(1):5-10.

Kaur M, Pranesh G, Mittal M, Gahlan A, Deepika K, Sashikala T, Rao KA. Outcome of laparoscopic ovarian drilling in patients of clomiphene resistant polycystic ovary syndrome in a tertiary care center. Int J Infertil Fetal Med. 2013.4:39-44.

Freud A, Harlev A, Weintraub AY, Ohana E, Sheiner E. Reproductive outcomes following uterine septum resection. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2015. 28(18):2141-4.

Selvaraj P, Selvaraj K. Reproductive outcome of septate uterus following hysteroscopic septum resection. J Hum Reprod Sci. 2010.3(3):143-5.

Hollett-Caines J, Vilos GA, Abu-Rafea B, Ahmad R. Fertility and pregnancy outcomes following hysteroscopic septum division. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2006;28(2):156-9.

Bakas P, Gregoriou O, Hassiakos D, Liapis A, Creatsas M, Konidaris S. Hysteroscopic resection of uterine septum and reproductive outcome in women with unexplained infertility. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2012.73(4):321-5.

Esmaeilzadeh S, Delavar MA, Andarieh MG. Reproductive Outcome Following Hysteroscopic Treatment of Uterine Septum. Mater Sociomed. 2014;26(6):366-71.

Lee HJ, Lee JE, Ku SY, Kim SH, Kim JG, Moon SY, Choi YM. Natural conception rate following laparoscopic surgery in infertile women with endometriosis. Clin Exp Reprod Med. 2013;40(1):29-32.

Nesbitt-Hawes EM, Campbell N, Maley PE, Won H, Hooshmand D, Henry A, et al. The Surgical Treatment of Severe Endometriosis Positively Affects the Chance of Natural or Assisted Pregnancy Postoperatively. Biomed Res Int. 2015:438790.