DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-1770.ijrcog20172915

Diagnostic accuracy of chromohysteroscopy in women with unexplained infertility

Kanika Chopra, S. S. Trivedi, Sharda Patra

Abstract


Background: Chronic endometritis has been related to infertility but it is usually asymptomatic and the diagnosis is rarely suspected clinically. In cases of absence of any macroscopic abnormalities during conventional hysteroscopy, endometrial dyeing using methylene blue help identify abnormal areas and coupled with the histopathological examination gives a better diagnosis of endometritis.

Methods: This study was conducted on 100 infertile women in Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi over a period of one year. All women under- went hysteroscopy followed by chromohysteroscopy using 1% methylene blue dye. Biopsy was taken from light and dark stained areas. The histopathology results of these samples were compared and analyzed in relation with hysteroscopic and chromohysteroscopic findings and diagnostic accuracy calculated.

Results: Out of 100 women who underwent dianostic hysteroscopy 68 cases had normal findings and 32 had abnormal finding and on chromohysteroscopy light staining pattern was seen in 56 cases and 44 cases had dark staining. Histopathology of biopsy tissue from these dark stained areas showed endometritis in 50% (22 out of 44 cases) and normal endometrium in 50% (22 out of 44) cases, and biopsy from light stained area showed chronic endometritis in 5.35% (3 out of 56) cases and remaining 94.65% had normal endometrium. Diagnostic accuracy of chromohysteroscopy were sensitivity=88%, specificity=70.66%, PPV=50%, NPV=94.6%.

Conclusions: Chromohysteroscopy is a simple and effective technique for diagnosing endometrial pathology in cases of infertility.


Keywords


Chronic endometritis, Chromohysteroscopy, Infertility

Full Text:

PDF

References


Forti G, Krasusz C. Clinical review 100: evaluation and treatment of the infertile couple. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998;83:4177-88.

Farooki MA. Epidemiology and pathology of chronic endometritis. Int Surg. 1967;48:566-73.

Marconi G, Vilela M, Quintana R, Diradourian M, Young E, Sueldo C. New observations on endometrial physiology after transcervical injection of methylene blue dye. Fertil Steril. 2004;82:1700-4.

La Sala GB, Montanari R, Dessanti L, Cigarini C, Sartori F. The role of diagnostic hysteroscopy and endometrial biopsy in assisted reproductive technologies. Fertil Steril. 1998; 70:378-80.

Küçük T, Safali M. Chromohysteroscopy for the evaluation of endometrium in recurrent in vitro fertilization failure. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2008;25:79-82.

Kucuk T, Deveci S. Can chromohysteroscopy help target endometrial biopsy in post menopausal bleeding. Europ J Gynecol Onco. 2008;29(2):165-7.

Cicinelli E, Resta L, Nicoletti R. Endometrial micropolyps at fluid hysteroscopy suggest the existence of chronic endometritis. Hum Reprod. 2005;20:1386-9.

Kucuk T, Deveci S. Chromohysteroscopy for evaluation of endometrium in recurrent miscarriage. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 2008;35(2):133-6.