DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-1770.ijrcog20222807
Published: 2022-10-28

The role of intravenous aminoacid infusion in case of oligohydramnios in improving pregnancy outcome

Subhash Chandra Roat, Gautam Lal Damor, Suman Shivrayan, Bharat Kumar Bilwal

Abstract


Background: Adequate amniotic fluid volume is essential for the normal growth and well-being of the foetus. Diminished liquor or oligohydramnios is quite often associated with abnormal foetal outcomes such as intrauterine growth restriction, foetal anomaly, malpresentation, post maturity syndrome and foetal distress in labour.

Methods: The present study was conducted in the department of obstetrics and gynecology, at PDZH, RNT Medical College, Udaipur in the year 2020-2021. The study group comprised sonographically proven cases of Oligohydramnios in third trimester attending antenatal clinic and those admitted in wards and clean labour room.

Results: Patient with severe oligohydramnios (AFI<5) 17% chance of persistent oligohydramnios and patient with borderline oligohydramnios (AFI 5-8) had 83% on 1st ANC visit, which improved at the time of delivery to 28% with normal AFI and 67% (5-8 AFI).

Conclusions: Antepartum AFI assessment is one of the most reliable and inexpensive standard technique for assessment of foetal wellbeing in antepartum period. This is a good predictor of foetal wellbeing. oligohydramnios means that the foetus is in a compromised condition. Amniotic fluid index assessment is a helpful tool in determine who is at risk for adverse outcome during labour and delivery. This helps in instituting appropriate corrective measures so that interventional procedures can be undertaken in the interest of unborn baby.

 


Keywords


AFI, Foetal wellbeing, Oligohydramnios

Full Text:

PDF

References


Kilpartrick SJ. Therapeutic interventions for oligohydramnios, amino-infusion and maternal hydration. Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 1997;40(2): 328-36.

Arias F, Bhide AG, Arulkumaran S, Damania K, Daftary SN, eds. Arias’ Practical guide to high-risk pregnancy and delivery. 2nd edn. Elsevier India; 1998:153,310,321-322.

Brace RA, Wolf EJ. Normal amniotic fluid volume changes throughout pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1989;161:382-8.

Baxi K, Bansal S. A prospective study on role of i.v. amino acid infusion in improving pregnancy outcome in cases of oligohydramnios. Int Arch Bio Med Clin Res. 2018;4.

Chauhan SP. Amniotic fluid index before and after amnioinfusion of a fixed volume of normal saline. J Reprod Med. 1991;36:801-2.

Cicily TJ, Sams S, Gopal AK. Effect of hydration therapy on oligohydramnios. Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol. 2017;6(5):1800-6.

Banks EH, Miller DA. Perinatal risks associated with borderline amniotic fluid index. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1999;180(6):1461-3.

Ross MG, Cedars L, Nijland MJ, Ogundipe A. Treatment of oligohydramnios with maternal 1-deamino-(8-D-arginine) vasopressin-induced plasma hypoosmolality. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1996;174(5):1608-13.

Fitzsimmons ED, Bajaj T. Embryology, Amniotic Fluid. In: StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK541089. Accessed on 4 August 2022.

Hofmeyr GJ, Gülmezoglu AM, Novikova N. Maternal hydration for increasing amniotic fluid volume in oligohydramnios and normal amniotic fluid volume. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2002;2002(1):CD000134.

Bhagat M, Chawla I. Correlation of amniotic fluid index with perinatal outcome. J Obstet Gynaecol India. 2014;64(1):32-5.

Lorzadeh N, Kazemirad S, Lorzadeh M, Najafi S. Comparison of the effect of oral and intravenous fluid therapy on women with oligohydramnios. Res J Obstet Gynecol. 2008;1(1):25-9.