DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-1770.ijrcog20222311
Published: 2022-08-29

Using the new ICD-MM classification system for attribution of cause of maternal death: a retrospective study from a tertiary care hospital of Rajasthan

Anuj Kumar Sharma, Radha Rastogi, Archana Bamaniya, Sumeet Ranjan Tripathy, Balveer Jakhar, Kalpesh Patel

Abstract


Background: Sustainable development goal 3 includes an ambitious target of reducing the global maternal mortality rate (MMR) to less than 70 per 100,000 births by 2030. Understanding the causes of and factors contributing to maternal deaths is critically important for development of interventions that reduce the global burden of maternal mortality and morbidity. The International classification of diseases-maternal mortality has proven to be easily applicable and helps clarify the cause of maternal death.

Methods: Retrospective study of 100 maternal death cases was done in a tertiary medical centre of Rajasthan from December 2020 to November 2021 for determining the causes of maternal death and their classification according to ICD-MM.

Results: A total of 100 maternal mortality cases were analyzed in this study for causes of death. Classification of causes of death according to WHO ICD-MM is represented in study results. Direct causes of maternal deaths were observed in 82 % cases whereas indirect causes were present in remaining 18%. Hypertensive disorders (29%), obstetric haemorrhage (27%) and pregnancy related infection (12%) constituted the major groups of direct cause of maternal deaths whereas systemic infections were the most common indirect cause (15%). During the study period, COVID-19 was attributable to 12 cases of maternal death.

Conclusions: Hypertensive disorders (29%), obstetric haemorrhage (27%) and pregnancy related infection (12%) were the major causes of direct obstetric death and systemic infections (15%) was the most common cause of indirect obstetric death. All of these causes are preventable with targeted interventions.


Keywords


ICD-MM, Maternal death classification, Maternal mortality, COVID-19

Full Text:

PDF

References


International guidelines for certification and classification (coding) of COVID-19 as cause of death. Available at: https://www.who.int/ classifications/icd/Guidelines_Cause_of_Death_COVID-19.pdf?ua=1. Accessed on 20 November 2020.

Knight M, Nair M, Brocklehurst P, Kenyon S, Neilson J, Shakespeare J, et al. Examining the impact of introducing ICD-MM on observed trends in maternal mortality rates in the UK 2003-13. BMC Preg Childbirth. 2016;16(1):178.

Mgawadere F, Unkels R, van den Broek N. Assigning cause of maternal death: a comparison of findings by a facility-based review team, an expert panel using the new ICD-MM cause classification and a computer- based program (interval-4). BJOG. 2016;123:1647-53.

Strategies toward ending preventable maternal mortality. Available at: http://who.int/reproductive health/topics/maternal_perinatal/epmm/en/. Accessed on: 28 August 2020.

International statistical classification of diseases and related health problems. Geneva, Switzerland. Available at: www.who.int/classifications/icd/ICD-10_2nd_ed_volume2.pdf. Accessed on: 28 August 2020.

Mittal P, Kapoor G, Kumari N, Bajaj B. review of maternal mortality at a tertiary care hospital: what have we achieved?. J Obstet Gynaecol India. 2019;69(2):149-54.

Trends in maternal mortality: 2000 to 2017: estimates by WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA, World Bank Group and the United Nations Population Division. Available at: www.who.int/reproductivehealth/ publications/maternal-mortality-2017/en/. Accessed on: 28 August 2020.

Guidelines for maternal death surveillance and response, Available at: http://www.nhm.gov.in/ images/pdf/programmes/maternalhealth/guidelines/Guideline_for_MDSR.pdf. Accessed on: 28 August 2020.

Maternal mortality in 2005. Available at: www.who.int/whosis/mme_2005.pdf. Accessed on: 28 August 2020.

Say L, Chou D, Gemmill A, Tunçalp O, Moller AB, Daniels J, et al. Global causes of maternal death: a WHO systematic analysis. Lancet Glob Health. 2014; 2(6):323-33.

Lozano R, Wang H, Foreman KJ, Rajaratnam JK, Naghavi M, MarcusJR, et al. Progress towards Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 on maternal and child mortality: an updated systematic analysis. Lancet. 2011;378:1139-65.

Agampodi S, Wickramage K, Agampodi T, Thennakoon U, Jayathilaka N, Karunarathna D, et al. Maternal mortality revisited: the application of the new ICD-MM classification system in reference to maternal deaths in Sri Lanka. Reprod Health. 2014; 11(1):17.